Having books at your child's "just right" level is a great way to help them learn to read. You probably already have several books at home to read, but are unsure of the level. We use Fountas and Pinnell's leveling system. The kindergarten levels are A-D, first grade levels are E-I, and so on. Please remember that your child is not "pigeon-holed" into one reading level. We always teach with a range of leveled books to give your student a variety of books at different levels of difficulty.
To find the level of a book, follow these steps:
1. Go to www.readingcounts.com
2. Under the "Teachers" drop down menu, click "Book Wizard"
3. On the right side, find the "Your Reading Level System" section, check "Guided Reading" and then click the "set" button. This will give you the letter level, not the grade level.
4. Then type the title, author, or keyword into the "Quick Search" bar.
5. It should give you both the interest level and also the Guided Reading Level.
1601 W. 50th Street Minneapolis, MN 55419
Telephone: 612.668.3280 | Fax: 612.668.3290