Pick Up and Drop Off
Burroughs Community School: Arrival and Dismissal Procedures
Drop-Off and Pick-Up Policies
Approximately 800 children walk, bike, bus and carpool daily to and from Burroughs. Safety, efficiency and courtesy during arrival and dismissal are very important to everyone. Please read carefully and follow our procedures. Most importantly, remember that safe practices begin with you. Allow adequate time. Slow down on 50th Street. Watch for children!
- Main Entrance Drop-off Circle is for Kindergarten- 2nd Graders
- Drop-off for Grades 3-5 at various locations (see locations below and map on Burroughs website)
- No Student Drop-Off before 8:55 a.m.
- Students should arrive by 9:10 a.m. After that, students are considered tardy
- If your child arrives after 9:10 am, an adult must walk him/her into the main office and sign in on the tardy roster.
Walkers and Bikers:
- Lengthy summer construction means new and improved crosswalks and overhead traffic lights to help students safely cross at 50th & Minnehaha Pkwy and 50th & James Ave S.
- Students who walk to school should cross with crossing guards and within the cross walk, never mid-block.
- Before proceeding into the intersections, remind students to look out for cars that are trying to rush through a changing light, or cars that are turning onto 50th Street.
- There are plenty of bike racks for locking up bikes located next to the playground.
Drop-Off Circle for Grades K-2:
- It is vital to the safety of our students that ALL families adhere to the rules.
- The drop off circle at the main entrance is for children in grades K-2 only. See below for safe drop off locations for grades 3-5.
- Be sure to pull up all the way up to the 'Drop Off' Sign.
- Students must be let out of the passenger side right onto the curb.
- Adults, DO NOT get out of your car.
- Students need to hop out quickly so you can depart immediately.
- Remember, you can only make a right-hand turn out of the Burroughs lot between 8:30-9:30am.
Safe Drop-Off Locations for Grades 3-5:
- The Lynnhurst Community Center parking lot entrance on Minnehaha Pkwy
- The Mt. Olivet parking lot South side of 50th, West of James Ave S.
- Mount Olivet Chapel parking lot, North side of 50th
- Near 51st Street and James Avenue, South of the bridge and on the East side of the James Ave S.
- 49th Street and James Avenue, North of the 50th, next to the Lynnhurst Field
Dog Policy Before & After School:
- Please remember, many students have a fear of dogs.
- Use the dog tie-out stakes at the main entrance.
- On the James side of school, keep your dog leashed, close to you and off the sidewalk.
Places to Park 8:00 am - 4:00 pm
- Burroughs parking lot
- South side of 50th Street
- Lynnhurst lot south of the Lynnhurst Park Building (only use between 8:00-10:30am)
- Lynnhurst playground lot across from school on 50th (Use James Ave crosswalk; do not cross mid-block).
- Both sides of James NORTH of 50th.
If you park on the West Side of James Avenue:
DO NOT cross between the buses when going to or from your car. This is VERY DANGEROUS. Please use the crosswalk.
East Side of James Avenue:
This is a Bus Lane. NEVER use for drop-off or parking.
Picking Up Your Child(ren) During the School Day (Doctor/Dentist etc.):
- Come directly to the main office and sign your child out.
- The office staff will call your child to the office when you have actually arrived and signed your child out.
When You Return After the Appointment:
The parent or guardian must escort the student into the main office and sign him/her back into school.
Parent pick up:
- After 3:00pm, DO NOT drive into the Main Entrance Circle. Buses pick up students from this area.
- Kindergarten - 3rd Grade parents: Wait for your child in the Atrium. DO NOT go to the classroom. Your child will walk through the Atrium with their classroom teacher at the end of the day or after a.m. Kindergarten.
- Grade 4 parents: Pick up your child outside Door # 3. DO NOT stand on the main sidewalk. Teachers need to drop off students at buses. Standing parents and strollers make it impossible to pass.
- Grade 5 parents: Pick up your child from the Garage Door Driveway. DO NOT stand on the main sidewalk. Teachers need to drop off students at buses. Standing parents and strollers make it impossible to pass.
- Parents who walk to school from South of Burroughs: Pick up your child at Bus Sign #8.